Pages

October 3rd... On the 4th.

Thursday, October 4, 2018

So going into this challenge of blogging every single day this month, I knew there would be times I would slip up. Life happens, we get tired, busy, we forget, or we are just lazy. I thought I'd be able to make it past day three though. Oh well. Here it is now.
Ever since I was a little girl, one of my absolute favorite meals on a chilly day has been grilled cheese and tomato soup. Now back when I was a kid, that consisted of a can of Campbell's heated on the stove and a slice of those processed Kraft american slices in the plastic folded packages.
As an adult, I still love this meal, but I have upped my game. My favorite grilled cheese consists of muenster and colby jack cheeses (and sometimes pepper jack if I'm feeling fiesty), ultra thin sliced smoked turkey and honey ham, and fresh basil. The secret is to pick the right bread. When you load up a sandwich like this you have to have a thick cut bread to balance. My go to is Texas toast.
I still for the most part cheat on the tomato soup, especially if I'm throwing this together as a quick and easy "I don't feel like cooking" meal. I typically choose a canned tomato soup that has basil, or is a "gourmet" variety. I always add extra fresh basil, sometimes milk or cream, extra canned or fresh diced tomatoes.
This is just a perfect fall, cooler weather meal. What are your favorite meals for this time of year?

1 comment: