Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving. I am Grateful for many things.

I know I haven't posted in quite some time, but I have decided that I am no longer going to apologize for life. Life gets in the way sometimes, in the way of lots of things, including making blog posts. But I feel that living my life the way I want to, and enjoying the blessings I have, is much more important than pleasing blog followers. Sure, I wish I posted more often, but in reality, it's not that important in the larger scheme of things.
That being said, I would like to make this post about Thanksgiving. I am grateful for many many things in my life. And one of those things is my trials and tribulations. I have been going through a lot of trials of late, and sometimes I feel I can't do it. It really is hard, but I know that Heavenly father will only give me what he knows I can handle. I recently decided to drive the half hour to the YSA ward 22 miles away, for a fast and testimony meeting. I really felt the spirit during that meeting. I was sitting in my pew, and they were about to close the meeting, but I felt prompted that I needed to bear my testimony on trials. I quickly got up and went to the pulpit, just as the bishop was standing up to announce the closing hymn and benediction. As I approached the pulpit, he sat down and allowed me to bear my testimony. When I stood in front of the microphone, I was silent for a moment, because I didn't know what to say, but Heavenly Father knew what I needed to say. I bore my testimony on the power of trials, and how really they do suck. But that Heavenly Father has a perfect plan for each of us. We chose to come to this earth knowing that there would be trials that would be hard to overcome. But we chose this life anyway. He knows the things that we can handle, and will not give us more. After I sat down, the bishop stood once again to announce the closing of the meeting. And he was crying. After the close of the meeting, he came up to me and thanked me for bearing my testimony. He told me that he felt the spirit so strongly and that he could tell that my words had come from Heavenly Father. And then he gave me the back cover of the July 2014 Ensign. The page had a beautiful picture of blue flowers, and on the bottom was a little excerpt from a talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf titled "Grateful in any Circumstances". This is what it read.
How can I maintain a spirit of gratitude, even in times of trial?
"We can choose to be grateful, no matter what. This type of gratitude transcends whatever is happening around us. It surpasses disappointment, discouragement, and despair. It blooms just as beautifully in the icy landscape of winter as it does in the pleasant warmth of summer. When we are grateful to God in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation.... In the cold of bitter sorrow, we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven's embrace.... How much of life do we we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain? Being grateful in times of distress does not mean that we are pleased with our circumstances. It does mean that through the eyes of faith we look beyond our present-day challenges. This is not a gratitude of the lips but of the soul."
I am so thankful for all of the trials in my life. Yes, they are hard. Yes, they can be discouraging. But in this life, they happen. And in this life, we grow from them.
I would like to leave you with this video. I hope you all had a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment