Saturday, March 2, 2013

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

 Today just happens to be Dr. Seuss's 109th Birthday, and because he taught me so many things thru out my childhood, I thought he deserved a post today. From lessons in life on never giving up to being individual and never letting anybody tell you who you are,  I will always be in debt to this man. I remember reading Dr. Seuss from the time I could comprehend a story. His books were my favorite from my childhood and I can clearly remember wondering if I too had a wocket in my pocket or a vug under my rug. I remember countless hours during the Christmas season watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas in all of it's versions. The nap time after nap time of reading everything from The Foot Book to Oh! The Places You'll Go, and in my later life watching Horton Hears a Who with the little kids I babysit and making up Suess/Shakespeare spoofs for my British Literature Class. "I will not kill him with a sword. I will not kill my Scottish lord. I will not stab him in the back. I do not want to, Lady Mac." "Did you hide him here, or there? I hid Polonius under the stairs." But most of all Dr. Seuss taught me to not worry about what people say or think about me but to be 100% myself.  "Only you can control your future" "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." "A person's a person no matter how small" "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind." And "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" These a few of Dr. Seuss's words that have stuck in my mind and always will. Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss, you will always be in my heart. 

  1. post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment